What are dental retainers for?
Dental retainers prevent your teeth from shifting after they are in new positions. If you wear your retainer and follow your orthodontist’s instructions, you can prevent your teeth from moving back to their original positions. If they shift, you might need to go through treatment again.
A mouth retainer also combats the following habits, which require strong retention:
- Mouth breathing
- Teeth grinding
- Tongue thrusting or poor tongue posture
- Playing a reed instrument
- Lip sucking
- Pen or pencil biting
Types of teeth retainers
These durable retainers are made out of acrylic and wire. They are adjustable, so your orthodontist can tweak them and alter your teeth after treatment if needed.
Your dentist will pick the best type of retainer for you depending on your needs. You may even have a combination of a fixed retainer for your bottom teeth and a Hawley device for the top.
How to care for your retainer
Taking care of your retainer will ensure it lasts for years and keeps your smile healthy. Follow these tips to maintain your retainer:
- Rinse your retainer with cool water before inserting it and after using it.
- Use a retainer cleaning solution every few weeks to prevent buildup and bacteria growth.
- Only store your retainer in its case — do not put it in your pocket, a lunchbox, a napkin or anywhere else it can be lost or damaged.
- Follow your orthodontist’s instructions for wearing your retainer and enjoy your new and improved smile!
Why visit Garrett & Boyd Orthodontics
Dr. Boyd and Dr. Perez-Cisneros provide quality orthodontic care in Sugar Land and Rosenberg, Texas. We make sure you are comfortable at every appointment and know what to expect from your personalized treatment program. When you visit us, our friendly staff members will welcome you and assist you every time.
We offer flexible scheduling and no-interest payment plans to help everyone get orthodontic care. We even provide fun in-office contests and patient rewards so that each client looks forward to their next appointment.
Contact us for retainers and more
If you’re ready to start your orthodontic treatment, Dr. Boyd and Dr. Perez-Cisneros are here to help. Request your consultation today for more information!